Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Arkansas sues YouTube over claims that the site is fueling a mental health crisis -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Arkansas sues YouTube over claims that the site is fueling a mental health crisis
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 18:08:18
LITTLE ROCK,Charles Langston Ark. (AP) — Arkansas sued YouTube and parent company Alphabet on Monday, saying the video-sharing platform is made deliberately addictive and fueling a mental health crisis among youth in the state.
Attorney General Tim Griffin’s office filed the lawsuit in state court, accusing them of violating the state’s deceptive trade practices and public nuisance laws. The lawsuit claims the site is addictive and has resulted in the state spending millions on expanded mental health and other services for young people.
“YouTube amplifies harmful material, doses users with dopamine hits, and drives youth engagement and advertising revenue,” the lawsuit said. “As a result, youth mental health problems have advanced in lockstep with the growth of social media, and in particular, YouTube.”
Alphabet’s Google, which owns the video service and is also named as a defendant in the case, denied the lawsuit’s claims.
“Providing young people with a safer, healthier experience has always been core to our work. In collaboration with youth, mental health and parenting experts, we built services and policies to provide young people with age-appropriate experiences, and parents with robust controls,” Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda said in a statement. “The allegations in this complaint are simply not true.”
YouTube requires users under 17 to get their parent’s permission before using the site, while accounts for users younger than 13 must be linked to a parental account. But it is possible to watch YouTube without an account, and kids can easily lie about their age.
The lawsuit is the latest in an ongoing push by state and federal lawmakers to highlight the impact that social media sites have on younger users. U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy in June called on Congress to require warning labels on social media platforms about their effects on young people’s lives, similar to those now mandatory on cigarette boxes.
Arkansas last year filed similar lawsuits against TikTok and Facebook parent company Meta, claiming the social media companies were misleading consumers about the safety of children on their platforms and protections of users’ private data. Those lawsuits are still pending in state court.
Arkansas also enacted a law requiring parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts, though that measure has been blocked by a federal judge.
Along with TikTok, YouTube is one of the most popular sites for children and teens. Both sites have been questioned in the past for hosting, and in some cases promoting, videos that encourage gun violence, eating disorders and self-harm.
YouTube in June changed its policies about firearm videos, prohibiting any videos demonstrating how to remove firearm safety devices. Under the new policies, videos showing homemade guns, automatic weapons and certain firearm accessories like silencers will be restricted to users 18 and older.
Arkansas’ lawsuit claims that YouTube’s algorithms steer youth to harmful adult content, and that it facilitates the spread of child sexual abuse material.
The lawsuit doesn’t seek specific damages, but asks that YouTube be ordered to fund prevention, education and treatment for “excessive and problematic use of social media.”
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Narcissists are nightmares during holidays. Here's how to cope with them.
- She bought a vase at Goodwill for $3.99. It was a rare piece that just sold at auction for more than $100,000.
- An airstrike likely carried out by Jordan’s air force targets drug dealers in Syria, reports say
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Watchdog group accuses Ron DeSantis of breaking campaign finance law
- Teddi Mellencamp Shares Next Step in Cancer Battle After Unsuccessful Immunotherapy
- NFL suspends Steelers' Damontae Kazee for rest of season for hit on Colts receiver
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Five-star quarterback recruit Dylan Raiola flips commitment from Georgia to Nebraska
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Mexico’s president calls for state prosecutor’s ouster after 12 were killed leaving holiday party
- Marvel Drops Jonathan Majors After Guilty Verdict in Assault Case
- Militants with ties to the Islamic State group kill 10 people in Uganda’s western district
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Greek anti-terror squad investigates after a bomb was defused near riot police headquarters
- Jeffrey Wright, shape-shifter supreme, sees some of himself in ‘American Fiction’
- The new 'Color Purple' exudes joy, but dances past some deeper complexities
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Russell Brand questioned by London police over 6 more sexual offense claims, UK media say
Mariah Carey's final Christmas tour show dazzles with holiday hits, family festivities, Busta Rhymes
Are Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes Ready to Get Married? She Says…
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
How many students are still missing from American schools? Here’s what the data says
Do you have bothersome excess skin? There are treatment options.
Can family doctors deliver rural America from its maternal health crisis?